Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dear teething,

I OFFICIALLY HATE YOU.

Owen's second front tooth has been coming in for about four days now. A few days ago, the FDA recalled the homeopathic teething tablets that I was using on his worst days. For good reason, but still. He is refusing to nurse, which I guess is very common because the top teeth are not covered by the tongue during nursing so it's quite painful. I'm lucky if I can get him to eat 2-3 times a day and he's not interested in drinking milk from a cup.

When the first front tooth came in I was wicked sore. He wasn't sure what to do with that new little razor in his mouth and he changed his latch a little. I had a skin tag on my areola that he sliced clean off (ouch. thanks?) After a day or so he figured it out and went back to a more comfortable latch. Now we have top front tooth #2 coming in.

And to top it off - Owen is constipated. He HATES passing solid stool. Gone are the days of easy liquid fart poops - this stuff takes effort. And I mean effort. If there were a poop Olympics my boy would be the champion. He turns bright red and screams like holy hell. Maybe if he drank more breastmilk it would make the stool softer - oh right, you can't you're teething. Hurts going in and hurts coming out. This kid can't win.

Today Owen refused his afternoon nap, pooped in my hand and bit my shoulder.

Today was not our best day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Owen...poor baby and mommy. Hang in there Tam. He only has what, 16 more teeth waiting to come in?? AHH! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Mama. It seems there is always a challenge lurking, doesn't it? Right now I'm sleepless over C's nursing - or lack thereof. I'm an absolute mess. Wish we lived closer so we could hang out and talk about our woes! :) It'll get better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the stage from hell.
    I was very distraught when teething began. WHY didn't anyone tell me how bad it could be?
    It's no better when the molars start. Try 3:30 AM fussing with an 18 mo.
    I love Hyland's and they worked so well for us. I am crushed about the recall b/c we still have many more teeth that need to come through.
    I have seen amber teething necklaces that are supposed to help. Hope you and your little one have some relief.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails