Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our Little Monkey

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Whoever said this, did not have children because the more things change - the more NOTHING is the same. Each month with Owen brings new patterns, new cries, new sounds, new sleep preferences, new EVERYTHING.  And just when I think I've got him figured out something *new* happens and sends it all out of whack.

We used to hold him like a baby. Now he wants to either sit up by himself or have us help him "stand."

I had him on a great schedule at 3 months made even better by his sleeping through the night. And then, a growth spurt. We've never seen that same schedule again.

He used to sleep quietly, swaddled with his head turned to his left side. Month five, no more swaddles and he now sleeps on his tummy.

Teething has thrown a wrench in just about everything involving eating and sleeping. We take it day-by-day and see if it's a good day or a teething day. On teething days he either doesn't care much for eating - or he wants to nurse all day for comfort. Afternoon naps are usually a mess and night wakings frequent.

He likes different toys now.

He startles easily. I can't eat sun chips anymore because he HATES the bag and he's scared of the food processor so I can only make his food at night after he goes to bed.

He's grown out of most of his six month clothing and fits snugly in his nine month jammies.

He's outgrowing his sink bathtub and none of his socks fit.

He holds on to me when I pick him up.

He looks towards the door when he wakes up from his naps.

He babbles, yells and screeches really loud when he starts to get tired. He also rubs his eyes.

He loves it when I whisper in his ear - specially when I say "the bumble bee goes bzzt bzzt bzzt"

He pumps his left leg really fast while he's eating. 

He lets me rock him to sleep sometimes.

Last week he loved pears. He hasn't opened his mouth to the spoon in two days.

He gets cuter by the minute.

I have always hated change and had a strong affinity for organization and routine - but with Owen nothing stays the same and we have no set schedule. I've learned to breath deeply and let our days evolve organically. I try not to be disappointed when I don't get anything done around the house and remember to enjoy our time together just he and I. Very soon he will discover his independence and not want to snuggle Mama all day long. I will spend my entire life trying to figure him out, what scares him, what comforts him, what makes him happy. And the one thing that stays the same is how very much I love and adore this boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails