Thursday, April 15, 2010

Babywearing

I used one of the gift cards we received after Owen's birth towards a Moby sling. If you've ever seen one, its a long (LONG) piece of stretchy fabric that you can tie into many configurations and wear your little bundle around. Doing tasks such as making dinner one handed tends to be a fire hazard and with one of us always holding/bouncing/shhing/feeding Owen we're getting 50% less done around the house. Did I say 50? I meant 90.

Anyway, Daddy was the first to brave the sling. Owen was unsure at first and then yelled a little just for show. In less than ten minutes he was sound asleep and stayed that way.

I must say the enjoyment my sweet husband got from wearing our cub around while he cooked and folded laundry warmed my heart. Don't get me wrong - my heart is always warm when I see him doing chores -- it was just an added bonus to see him wearing Owen around like a proud kangaroo dad.

And I know he enjoyed it because five minutes into making dinner he says:

"So how long is it going to be before you ask to take a picture of me wearing Owen to put on the blog?"

(Yes, my child has MONSTER big hands)



Needless to say, after two nights of watching this adorableness around the house - Mamma wanted a try!

And tonight, as I type this, Mr. O is sound asleep - slung across my chest. It truly is the nicest way to get things done.

1 comment:

  1. Babywearing is awesome! I just wanted to give you some tips. I know it's really hard to get it right if you've never had anyone show you how to do it. But when you put the moby on the cross is where your baby's butt is going to be. The closer your baby is to your face the better. So the higher the cross is the better. Your husband is wearing him to low. You also want your baby's back to stay as straight as you can possibly get it. The best way to accomplish this is belly to belly. When you put your baby in the sling slid him down in there with his belly to your chest. You NEVER want his body in a C shape. And you always want to check and make sure you there is 2 fingers worth of space between his chin and his chest. His chin touching his chest cuts off his airways.
    I hope I didn't offend you. I just wanted to share with you things I didn't know when I first put my baby in a sling. It's a good thing I didn't get a sling until my daughter was 4 months old or I could have cause serious problems. A good blog to check out on babywearing is Adventures in Babywearing, here's her a post that she talks about sling safty. http://www.adventuresinbabywearing.com/2010/03/by-special-request.html
    Enjoy your baby AND enjoy every minute of being able to wear him before he turns into a squirmy toddler. It happens so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails