Friday, March 12, 2010

Tiny footprints on my heart

Owen is breastfeeding like a champ - cluster feeding actually, every 1-1.5 hours during the day for the past few days. We have to wake him every 2-3 hrs at night, until he's established his weight gain. So Mamma hasn't slept more than 3 hours straight in over 16 days. But did I mention he's getting cheek chub?

At night he sleeps in the co sleeper (thanks E!) next to our bed. We swaddle him up nice and tight before bed and after feedings and there he sleeps still and quiet. Sometimes too still and too quiet. I find myself sleeping with one eye open to make sure he is still breathing. I always want to scoop him up and snuggle him close - but my sheer exhaustion coupled with enormous pillows/comforters and my fear of smothering my baby keeps him safely tucked away in his co sleeper. I'm thankful he's taken so kindly to sleeping there where I can see him.

We've had a hard week, Jeremy had to go back to working half days at the hospital and my mom had been living with us since I was on bed rest and his first week. She was helping us SO MUCH with laundry, grocery, dinners ect. Having our laundry magically clean and put away was AMAZINGLY helpful. She planned on coming back to help me this week - but she came down with a sinus infection so I've been on my own figuring out this new baby stuff.

Jeremy is so helpful with feedings - especially since he has to get up and go to work. Our dance goes a little like this:

Midnight: Mamma feeds; Daddy changes diapers, swaddles and puts Owen to sleep in the co sleeper usually around 1am.

3am: (Owen is usually crying, sometimes we have to wake him) Jeremy takes Owen and changes him, Mamma goes to the bathroom and gets settled on the couch to feed. Daddy brings Owen in and then gets Mamma a snack and a drink. He lays on the couch next to us and sleeps until we're done. When we're done (usually around 4-430) he changes/swaddles Owen and lays him back down in the co sleeper.

6am: see previous feeding.

9am: Mamma changes Owen, bring him out to the couch to feed and then lets him fall asleep on her chest for a nap.

Owen is the king of snuggling. He LOVES to snuggle himself to sleep on my bare chest (who wouldn't with cans this size? right?) but he will gladly settle for Daddy as well. On my chest he sleeps more soundly than any other time and I love to hear the sounds he makes as he dreams his baby dreams and breath in the smell of sleepy baby goodness. Everyday after our morning feeding, he falls asleep on my chest and we take a cat nap on the couch. When he wakes up and looks up at me with those big blue eyes, I sing him a good morning song and thank god for allowing me this amazing gift.

(little footprints on my belly)

4 comments:

  1. a) that picture is adorable

    2) wow, that 3AM feeding takes a long while - you poor thing, you must be so exhausted!

    c) and my kid is two, and sometimes i still go check to make sure he's breathing. its some mom thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky with your husband. In 7.5 months Seth has been up twice during the night. He saw no need to get up because I was breastfeeding and he couldn't do that. I suggested a routine like yours and it never got off the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What "good morning song" do you sing him??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sing him a good morning song that I made up.

    But I also sing him the "why do birds sing" song!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails