Saturday, March 27, 2010

My baby took a bottle



Last night we tried a bottle with Owen for the very first time. I haven't had more than a 3-hour block of sleep since he was born and Jeremy wanted to give me at least 6 hours of rest tonight - so this was our trial run. AKA: Mommy on back up with the boobies. This week I started pumping regularly after feedings. I'm able to get about 3 ounces total, so we've been freezing what I pump. Last night was the first time we tried the bottle. Having no idea how much this little cub eats, we started him with 2 ounces. Gone in sixty seconds. No joke. Apparently even the slow-flow nipple is easier than working for food from Mom. You should have seen his face when he barely sucked and figured out he was getting a good dose of liquid gold. My boy was thrilled. Then Jeremy and I spent the next twenty minutes fumbling frantically to thaw more milk while Owen screamed for seconds. It seems he eats closer to 4 ounces. Thank goodness for trial runs ;)

While I am happy to get some sleep tonight, it was so hard for me to watch my baby take a bottle. Even though he was still dining on his favorite food, I just felt sad that I wasn't the one feeding him. These are my issues, I know, and giving Jeremy some feeding time with Owen is very important too. My boys can bond. But something about watching his little ears wiggle and having him look up at me while he dines - just melts my heart. Probably even more than a little extra sleep.

1 comment:

  1. OF COURSE he took a bottle! He's a little stud baby! So happy Jeremy is getting this opportunity for some feeding time with your little one...Kevin enjoys bottle time too. You guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails