I went off of birth control in September of 2008. I was blissfully married to my soul mate, we had walls of diplomas, a budgeted bank account - we'd wholeheartedly embraced the very essence of responsible adulthood. In the socially acceptable continuum of life, we were ready to be parents.
Ready. Set. No.
Years of dutifully suppressing your own fecundity are driven by the notion that on any given whim, there is a possibility. And when that possibility becomes not only planned, but desired - it's absence each month is felt with crushing disappointment. I think in the beginning Jeremy and I both thought it would just happen - like two clumsy teenagers drunk on overactive libido and peach flavored Schnapps. We'd done everything right, we'd planned our life down to my morning temperatures and we were healthy, happy and worthy. But as our grocery bill each month was padded with EPT tests and fertility predictors we began to subtly question, why. At work I interviewed a 21 year-old basket case who admitted to random promiscuity and mainlining methamphetamine for much of her pregnancy before delivering her fatherless baby girl in prison. I left not analyzing the trajectory of her illicit behavior, but thinking about how I had avoided even the smell of caffeine for the greater part of a year with nothing to show for it. Why was she worthy?
One Sunday afternoon in early June, Jeremy and I were on our way to Walmart for our weekly grocery date. When I should have been brainstorming dinners or making a pact not to grab a bag of mini donut holes to munch on while we shopped - I was silent. My thoughts were consumed by yet another disappointing cycle. Jeremy was worried and pulled the car over in the empty parking lot of a tractor supply company. It was there that I wept. Fretting about our timeline, with only one cycle left until he would be rotating away for over two months. We would stop trying until we were settled into residency, that was always the plan. The plan. I sobbed uncontrollably and wondered out loud why I couldn't have what my heart desired. Jeremy handed me a tissue, his eyes were helpless as medical scenarios undoubtedly rattled around in his mind. Is it her? Is it me? We just sat there in that parking lot and let me cry it out. Because we had already done everything else we could think of.
Last week, after six weeks of bed rest, I was (shamefully) feeling sorry for myself. I vented about how isolated I felt and how badly I wanted to contribute to our household. I was jealous of other third trimester mommies bopping around, running errands, walking, nesting. I felt like I had cautiously, but healthily navigated almost two trimesters alone - only to find that once Jeremy was home and ready to experience this pregnancy and enjoy our last three months of being newlyweds together - all I had to give was messy couch hair and seemingly nagging requests for ice water and nail clippers.
And he looked at me and said,
My husband was right. I would lay flat on my back for eternity to have my son here safely. And I know any hopeful soul who has ever sobbed for a chance to experience this amazing miracle would to.
Ready. Set. No.
Years of dutifully suppressing your own fecundity are driven by the notion that on any given whim, there is a possibility. And when that possibility becomes not only planned, but desired - it's absence each month is felt with crushing disappointment. I think in the beginning Jeremy and I both thought it would just happen - like two clumsy teenagers drunk on overactive libido and peach flavored Schnapps. We'd done everything right, we'd planned our life down to my morning temperatures and we were healthy, happy and worthy. But as our grocery bill each month was padded with EPT tests and fertility predictors we began to subtly question, why. At work I interviewed a 21 year-old basket case who admitted to random promiscuity and mainlining methamphetamine for much of her pregnancy before delivering her fatherless baby girl in prison. I left not analyzing the trajectory of her illicit behavior, but thinking about how I had avoided even the smell of caffeine for the greater part of a year with nothing to show for it. Why was she worthy?
One Sunday afternoon in early June, Jeremy and I were on our way to Walmart for our weekly grocery date. When I should have been brainstorming dinners or making a pact not to grab a bag of mini donut holes to munch on while we shopped - I was silent. My thoughts were consumed by yet another disappointing cycle. Jeremy was worried and pulled the car over in the empty parking lot of a tractor supply company. It was there that I wept. Fretting about our timeline, with only one cycle left until he would be rotating away for over two months. We would stop trying until we were settled into residency, that was always the plan. The plan. I sobbed uncontrollably and wondered out loud why I couldn't have what my heart desired. Jeremy handed me a tissue, his eyes were helpless as medical scenarios undoubtedly rattled around in his mind. Is it her? Is it me? We just sat there in that parking lot and let me cry it out. Because we had already done everything else we could think of.
Last week, after six weeks of bed rest, I was (shamefully) feeling sorry for myself. I vented about how isolated I felt and how badly I wanted to contribute to our household. I was jealous of other third trimester mommies bopping around, running errands, walking, nesting. I felt like I had cautiously, but healthily navigated almost two trimesters alone - only to find that once Jeremy was home and ready to experience this pregnancy and enjoy our last three months of being newlyweds together - all I had to give was messy couch hair and seemingly nagging requests for ice water and nail clippers.
And he looked at me and said,
Remember that girl who cried in the parking lot of a tractor supply store? Because I do. That girl wanted a baby more than anything in this entire world. And on that day, if someone would have told you that you could have a son, but you had to lay flat on your back for nine whole month in order to do so ... you would have jumped at the chance. And by laying here, you ARE contributing. I know it's not the way you envisioned the end of this pregnancy to be, but you're taking care of the most important thing we've ever done together.I know there are people who try unsuccessfully, not for months, but years for a baby. My heart aches for women who will not know this feeling. My dear friends who struggle, my mother who struggled. My own blip of disappointment doesn't hold a candle to their loss. I can't explain the blurred line between "God's will" and messy planning or even try to hypothesize who is worthy of a bearing a new life and who isn't. But what I do know, is that the second that little plus sign appeared - all of our hopes, and tears and plans were wrapped up in this one little possibility.
My husband was right. I would lay flat on my back for eternity to have my son here safely. And I know any hopeful soul who has ever sobbed for a chance to experience this amazing miracle would to.
Tears streaming down my face as I read this, Tam. Thank you for writing what is in my very own heart! Months after months of negative tests, and one glorious, beautiful POSITIVE...it was never easy, with 10 weeks of extreme nausea and vomiting that was so bad I was on medication, followed by 2 weeks in the hosptial and 9 more weeks of strict bedrest at home. If you read through my bedrest archives, you'll see that I felt exactly as you did - jealous, angry, it just wasn't fair. My husband kept reminding me, too, that I was doing the most important job of all. And now that my sweet, almost three-week-old miracle boy is here, all that heartache is a distant memory, and now it's just joy and love and OMG - I would've laid there for a million years for my son. As soon as your boy is here, you will look back on this time and realize that it molded and shaped you and defined you, and most of all, that it showed you just what you and your hubby are made of. You can do ANYTHING together, and the end result will be the very best thing you and Jeremy have ever done. It is worth it a billion times over. Hang in there, Mama. You are doing SO GREAT!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I teared up as I read this post as well. I did not have to go through bedrest, but I remember being miserable at the end of my pregnancy and feeling guilty for wishing it was finally over and dreaming about Sullivan arriving a bit early when other women out there were still struggling to conceive. At the end of the day, this final stretch is but a blip on the radar. You're going to be a wonderful mama. You're already proving it by doing all you can to keep cooking that little one.
ReplyDeleteBTW-I'm on my way to read Blair's guest spot now!
I'm reading your post from Hamilton Happenings, my daughter's blog. She's 35 weeks pregnant too, with our first grandchild. You've got me reading your post with tears in my eyes. Hope the bed rest is still going well. That little one you're "incubating" will have you up and running in no time and you'll be craving a little of that bed rest!
ReplyDeleteIt's all worth what we moms go through. Hang in there!
PS: your disclaimer at the bottom is hilarious!